When appliances claim to “revolutionize” kitchen design, skepticism is only fair – except in the case of Sharp’s microwave drawer.
Microwave placement poses a problem. Standard microwaves easily clutter an otherwise beautiful design, especially within kitchen islands and open-plan kitchens, when placed near eye-level.
And – I’m sorry – but who in her right mind would put a standard microwave under the counter? Retrieving hot and possibly heavy items while bent down begs for trouble.
So when Sharp introduced the first microwave drawer, it truly did offer a solution to what many consider a problem.
The newest 24-inch microwave drawer models expand capacity within their existing footprints and include new, feedback-driven functions:
- Shortcut options such as “Warm” to heat maple syrup and dessert sauces
- Keep Warm function maintains the serving temperature for up to 30 minutes
- Soften and Melt functions keeps homeowners from having to press their faces up to the microwave glass to make sure they don’t make a buttery mess all over the microwave
- Sensor Cook settings expanded to include popular items such as brown rice and sweet potatoes
- Defrost options available for both boneless and bone-in poultry
- Opens quietly and smoothly (minimizes messes!) automatically at the touch of a button
Keeping the microwave tucked away yet accessible is perfect for people who use the microwave mostly for defrosting meats, steaming veggies and softening ingredients while cooking.
Does the idea of a microwave drawer seem like a novelty or practicality to you?
Thanks for the mention Julie! Early on there were complaints about capacity with these – it certainly sounds like they have improved enormously. A microwave drawer seems like a brilliant idea to me…though once the perennial placement problem is solved, what on earth will I have to write about?
I would hate for you to stop writing, and those posts are my favorite, so let’s just keep this one to ourselves, perhaps…
I always use my microwave for defrosting meats, too! Cause i used to buy a lot meats in one time, i have to store it in the fridge. the microwave is a must thing in my daily life.