How much do you actually cook in your microwave, versus reheating and defrosting?
All this week, my sister and appliance specialist Angela Warner has been judging the “Twin Cities Live” Microwave Cooking Challenge, which challenges contestants to create delicious and fun meals cooked only in the microwave.
Contestants like “Next Food Network Star” contestant Justin Davis and Cities 97′s BT came up with really creative microwave recipes — even microwave cake recipes!
Yes cake…and nachos.
Coincidentally, we got a microwave cooking book from Panasonic this week, and I thought I’d share this recipe for risotto.
Risotto, that creamy rice pasta, sometimes scares people off because it’s heavy on the “active time” equation of the process (you basically stir for at least 30 minutes nonstop). So the idea of making it in a microwave intrigued me. Let me know if you try this!
Risotto a la Parmigiana
From MasterChefs Microwave Recipes Made Easy
5-1/2 cups stock
2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 minced yellow onion
2-1/4 cups Carnaroli or Arborio rice
3/4 dry white wine, warmed
1 cup grated Parmesan
5 tbsp. butter cut into 1 T. pieces
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
Directions (note: P10, etc. refers to the power level setting on your microwave)
1. Place the stock and salt in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with a lid or plastic wrap and simmer at P10 for 8 minutes. Reserve, keeping the stock covered and hot.
2. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the oil and onion and cook covered at P10 for 2-1/2 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
3. Add the rice to the onion and oil mixture, stir to combine and cook at P7 uncovered for 4 minutes, stirring every minute.
4. Add the warm wine and cook at P7 for 3 minutes, or until wine is mostly absorbed.
5. Add enough stock to barely cover rice and cook at P7 uncovered for 3 minutes, or until about 75% of the liquid as been absorbed; stir. Repeat this process until all the stock is used.
6. When the rice is cooked to al dente, remove from the microwave and quickly stir in the butter, grated Parmesan cheese and ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.